Seven-g F/A-18 fighter Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Seven-g F/A-18 fighter Forum

Official Seven-g Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hornet model/skins progress

+12
Nick Taylor
sosoxia
Fletch
RhineHornet
Blackfly01
3Sqn_eldiablo
Go Navy
vgp78
Miximix
PL_Harpoon
5LG9Z
BeakerVBA
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Hornet model/skins progress Empty Hornet model/skins progress Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:19 pm

BeakerVBA

CAPT
CAPT

With permission, in this thread I'll be posting screenshots of development for the Hornet model and skins. Of course, screenshots below may not represent final quality.

Feel free to make comments, ask questions, or provide corrections. Hopefully this keeps you hungry wolves fed!

Forward fuselage texture mapping has been completely redone, some corrections made, and many antennae recreated and carefully textured to display fine, immersive detail deserving of a study simulation!
Hornet model/skins progress ZiLB7l
Hornet model/skins progress Fc4PMl

Some examples of new, modular antennae under the nose.
Hornet model/skins progress WXckVl

Vertical stabilizers, as well, have been completely redone! Now more accurate and more detailed. (Yet still, to my eye, very economical.) Seen here are the antennae appropriate for an F/A-18C/D, but I redesigned then intentionally to be accurately changed out to an A/B configuration.
Hornet model/skins progress YE9rbl

Forward fuselage template in progress, showing fairly tightly-packed UVWs that make use of every pixel available!
Hornet model/skins progress A4HZcl

Overview
Hornet model/skins progress B1eccl

VFA-25 test skin. [WIP disclaimer here.] Shows the new tail and generally improved texture real-estate on the nose and spine. Apologies for the floating probe pieces. Points awarded if you can spot the missing part that isn't the gear doors.
Hornet model/skins progress 4xfXFl

Additional, ancillary update:
https://i.imgur.com/unh9b.jpg

Next up:
AN/APX-111 "bird slicer" antennae for F/A-18A+, CF-18, etc.
"Weathering" for the new fuselage texture.

2Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:00 am

5LG9Z

LTJG
LTJG

Oh man, I can just see it now! Me shooting down some Migs with my 20mm cannon in that SEXY piece of machine. Old school! I really like what you do, Beaker! It takes some serious talent. Keep 'em coming!

3Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:29 am

PL_Harpoon

LT
LT

affraid Hornet model/skins progress Smiley-shocked016

AMAZING!

4Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:59 am

Miximix

LT
LT

External model looks great!!!!! But i have a question, will we be able to write our names and callsigns below the canopy like in real world??? Thanks for reply and again great job! Very Happy

5Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:03 am

BeakerVBA

CAPT
CAPT

Capability for dynamic MODEX or "side number" is already in the simulator, so it's certainly technically feasible, but I'm not sure if it will be immediately implemented.

6Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:44 pm

vgp78

LT
LT

very nice very very nice beaker gj!!!!

7Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:40 pm

BeakerVBA

CAPT
CAPT

If anyone has really really solid, current intel on Navy squadron paints, let me know. Sometimes it's tough to find which is the current configuration, and there's unfortunately no popular website dedicated to keeping up with it.

Anything up-to-date and comprehensive helps. (I have plenty of random reference images of course.)

8Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:31 pm

Go Navy

ENS
ENS

Thanks Beaker for the pictures and the work you guys have put into this. They look great!

9Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:47 am

3Sqn_eldiablo

LT
LT

Nice job indeed!

10Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:41 pm

Blackfly01

Blackfly01
LCDR
LCDR

Doesn't that aircraft have the AN/APX-111 IFF antennas on the nose?

Looks good, will be better with Maple Leafs Smile

11Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:01 pm

BeakerVBA

CAPT
CAPT

No sir, this would be an F/A-18C in present configuration, and as such would not be missing the AN/APX-111 antennas atop the nose. (Although a sharp eye would have noticed its low-band antenna remains looking lonely below the fuselage.) There have been some very limited number of F/A-18Cs with the APX-111 gear, but almost all F/A-18s in the USN/USMC that have the "bird slicer" antennas are the F/A-18A+.

Skins for 409, 410, and 425 Sqn. are already completed, but of course will have to be updated for the new model parts. You'll like em.

12Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:58 pm

Blackfly01

Blackfly01
LCDR
LCDR

Yeah , I saw the lower antennas. Waiting for the Canuck Bugs. We just made the changes to the Bug for our game. Can't wait to try your new one.

13Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:10 pm

BeakerVBA

CAPT
CAPT

If you mean BMS... just wait. As far as the Hornet goes, Seven-G's realization won't fail to impress.

14Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:26 am

Miximix

LT
LT

Didn't want to create a new topic for these questions. But will there be a possibility of pilot's death in a collision with a missile and will we be able to control the pilot after ejecting, i mean look at him while he descend with a parachute and control him on the ground?? Thanks for reply Very Happy

15Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:34 am

BeakerVBA

CAPT
CAPT

Hope you don't mind if I direct you to the Suggestion forum for the future.
https://seveng.forumotion.com/f1-suggestion

The answer to the first question is yes, to the second, presently no. Let's try to keep this thread on-topic when possible, please!

16Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:27 pm

RhineHornet

RhineHornet
LT
LT

Man Beaker, that model is a gorgeous 3d rendition of the real thing! Superb modeling work there. You must be a true Legacy Hornet fan for sure. Very Happy

You asked for feedback, so... if I may humbly mention (and please don't get mad at me, when I go into details, I just love the Hornet as much as you do I guess Smile ), that you might revisit the top edges of the vertical tails. From your posted screenshots above, it looks like you did the top edge straight, and I think they should be curved very slightly.
You may take a look at this image as a reference:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/2071743/L

Also, its hard to tell again from the images about the curvature of the canopy. I suspect you've got it spot on, it just looks a bit flat. I mean, in a side view, the main canopy's glass top forward edge continues for a feet or so at the same rising angle like the forward section of the wind screen and then arcs down again into the shallow curve.
This image perhaps helps to illustrate what I mean (esp. note the curvature of the canopy above the pilots helmet):
http://www.airliners.net/photo/1490406/L

In this image (and I researched a lot) it is also visible, that the radome of the Hornet basically is (geometrically speaking) an symmetricall arced cone which is tilted down slightly, so that the lower part is nearly horizontal. In other words, if I had to model the nose I would create said arced cone, tilt it down a few degrees and cut the rear open end vertically to get the aft edge where the radome meets the forward fuselage. You could also imagine what I am saying if you think that the tip of the radome (which is grey in the above image, the rest in white colore) the aft edge of the grey area is perpendicular to the radomes center (symmetry) axis.
I hope it can be understood what I want to say, Beaker. Don't get me wrong, your model looks really great already, I was just dissapointed with the lack of an eye-for-the-detail in the past, when other flightsim developers were doing the Hornet. You are doing great so far, no doubt.
Can't wait to see more of your work, and CF-18 skins of course!

BTW, I have some 3d modeling experience, I wanted to create a model for the SUU-20 bomb dispenser as an external store. I hope the quality will be suitable for Seven-G (keeping detail plus polygon optimization always in mind), maybe it could be of use for you, depending on your liking of course.

Anyway, thanks for showing your in-progress shots! That's very much appreciated! Smile

17Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:41 pm

BeakerVBA

CAPT
CAPT

Excellent post, thank you very much for taking the time to write it all out! Not mad at all, I do indeed want good feedback. I'll address each suggestion for clarity.

RhineHornet wrote:top edges of the vertical tails [...] they should be curved very slightly.
You may take a look at this image as a reference:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/2071743/L

Quite true! In my past incarnation of the tail, I had them a little too curved. They're slightly curved now for the purpose of putting the edges in place, but I left out adjusting them precisely until I had redrawn where I want to cut them... so that's on the way. (Already in the texture and ready to cut.)

RhineHornet wrote:...curvature of the canopy...
http://www.airliners.net/photo/1490406/L
...radome of the Hornet...

All good on the forward part of the canopy and nose, must have been the angle fooling with you. (Although I admit, the shape of the canopy is not perfect in other dimensions. You can see it diverging slightly from the real one at the rear. There's also a nearly imperceptibly small difference in the angle between the real canopy bow and my own, due to the plans I was previously working from. Maybe some things for the future, although I'm working in my free time here.)

Hornet model/skins progress 9wmeUl

Also, nice reference image. It happens to be one of those rare C models with the "bird slicer" antennas! Laughing

RhineHornet wrote:
BTW, I have some 3d modeling experience, I wanted to create a model for the SUU-20 bomb dispenser as an external store. I hope the quality will be suitable for Seven-G (keeping detail plus polygon optimization always in mind), maybe it could be of use for you, depending on your liking of course.

Do it! I'd think about 500 polygons each would be an upper limit, realizing of course there are actually quite a few details on that dispenser.

Last edited by BeakerVBA on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

18Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:39 pm

BeakerVBA

CAPT
CAPT

Getting a start on weathering. Painted-over areas next.

Hornet model/skins progress 8m9hEl

19Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:09 pm

Fletch

Fletch
LT
LT

Great work! I love the attention to detail here.

20Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:10 pm

Go Navy

ENS
ENS

Looks Great

21Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:06 pm

BeakerVBA

CAPT
CAPT

The challenge of making a mess on purpose!

Hornet model/skins progress Q7Ikwl
(Click for full image.)
Hornet model/skins progress 7MGiTl

22Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:32 pm

BeakerVBA

CAPT
CAPT

Hornet model/skins progress LIYkHl

23Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:37 am

sosoxia

ENS
ENS

great models!!!

24Hornet model/skins progress Empty VFA-195 Dambusters - Chippy Ho Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:46 am

Nick Taylor

ENS
ENS

Great work and very close to the original VFA-195 Dambusters...

Hornet model/skins progress 20070521234346

Alternative:

"Chippy Ho"
Nick

25Hornet model/skins progress Empty Re: Hornet model/skins progress Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:52 pm

BeakerVBA

CAPT
CAPT

Nick - Thanks for the comment. This repaint is currently a bit of a hodge-podge of various Chippy CAG schemes. The last iteration had a few slight differences in the tail section and the more curled script font on the spine as you posted. I just preferred this one, for the moment at least. The trick was getting the larger bits, particularly the tail... so I can make a few adjustments for accuracy quite easily.

Their new scheme on the Rhino is nice, not the same though of course. Crying or Very sad Shame they didn't replicate the old tail section.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum