Seven-g F/A-18 fighter Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Seven-g F/A-18 fighter Forum

Official Seven-g Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

New AAR Video

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New AAR Video Empty New AAR Video Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:40 pm

BeakerVBA

CAPT
CAPT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIyJzR0mgio

This is REALLY good to see progress on A/A Refueling, but I was a little concerned by the way it seems to "lock" the aircraft into place on the boom. That may be nice for a simplified refueling mode, but I would personally love to see the basket/hose moving realistically when connected and have no "magnetic" attraction to it. I'm sure that would be a programming challenge, but the reward of being able to bump the basket away with the probe, or drive forward and make the hose bend, would be just fantastic. Are there plans to continue developing this?

My 2c. Very Happy

2New AAR Video Empty Re: New AAR Video Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:59 pm

cmatt

RDML
RDML

Depending on the difficulty setting, it appears the magnetic zone changes. On "Hard" you need to get the probe into the basket before it locks on. When doing this for real, as soon as you get the probe in the basket, the work is done, the connect is straight forward. The KC-10 was "Hard", and the S-3 appeared to be on easy or medium (I did the KC-10, not the S-3). Interestingly enough, I found that if I used the techniques I normally used, I was able to refuel quite easily. It would be nice to have the basket react dynamically to any contact, may happen. Things are moving forward.

Last edited by cmatt on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added content)

3New AAR Video Empty Re: New AAR Video Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:50 pm

MudRat02

MudRat02
CDR
CDR

I came here to post about the same thing, but looks like that's cleared up then! The current setup for the "hard" probe refuelling sounds pretty good, but what sort of other conditions do you have for successfully inserting the probe for the difficulty settings? For example, as well as the lock zone are there also parameters to exclude a successful insertion such as if you come in a bit too quick or at an angle? Are their emergencies planned for tanking, like ripping the basket off, damaging your probe and/or ingesting FOD from any mishap like that?

I'd love to see realistic hose/basket movements too, but that's not to say I'm not impressed with how it is currently. I wouldn't want realistic hose dynamics to the detriment of other sim elements if its too complicated, but it would be an amazing addition.

4New AAR Video Empty Re: New AAR Video Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:02 pm

cmatt

RDML
RDML

On hard, you still need to have some care on the approach. I'll try a few different speeds and angles to see. Right now damage is not modelled. Probably not high on the list, but nice to have. The trouble with sims is that it often very difficult to judge closer looking at a screen, so penalizing the player may not be entertaining if the damage is too easily applied.

5New AAR Video Empty Re: New AAR Video Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:58 pm

BeakerVBA

CAPT
CAPT

cmatt wrote:Interestingly enough, I found that if I used the techniques I normally used, I was able to refuel quite easily. It would be nice to have the basket react dynamically to any contact, may happen. Things are moving forward.

Excellent! Just the answer I was looking for.

MudRat02 wrote:I'd love to see realistic hose/basket movements too, but that's not to say I'm not impressed with how it is currently. I wouldn't want realistic hose dynamics to the detriment of other sim elements if its too complicated, but it would be an amazing addition.

My thoughts exactly... After looking back at the KC-10 plug a couple more times, I was more reassured, too. Very Happy

6New AAR Video Empty Re: New AAR Video Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:41 pm

RhineHornet

RhineHornet
LT
LT

Hello team,

is there any chance to re-upload this new AAR video without the soundtrack? I really wanted to watch it, however, youtube here in Germany only shows:

This video contains content from UMG. It is not available in your country.

Thanks you!

7New AAR Video Empty fixed Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:01 pm

guy

fixed

8New AAR Video Empty Re: New AAR Video Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:19 pm

MudRat02

MudRat02
CDR
CDR

guy wrote:fixed

Not sure if its refuelling music but it will have to do Wink

9New AAR Video Empty Re: New AAR Video Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:15 pm

RhineHornet

RhineHornet
LT
LT

Thanks admins! Now I could watch it here. Looks fantastic. Great work (as always).

Agreed that dynamic basket movement would be cool to have. Still, love it!

10New AAR Video Empty Re: New AAR Video Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:35 pm

BeakerVBA

CAPT
CAPT

The actual movement of the basket could be animated in the model as a function of location of the basket, if it is assumed that the hose always bends the same way depending on where the basket is with relation to the root of the hose. (IE, to the right of the root of the hose, the bend in the hose would be made to the left.

Turbulent airflow behind the tanker (slight randomization of velocity in the vertical plane in the simulator) would dictate the position of the basket when it is undisturbed. When the edges of the basket make contact with the probe, a linear position function moves the center of the basket towards the center of the probe, along the angle of the basket's face, at a rate derived from the aircraft's z-axis closure rate relative to the basket. (With trigonometry applied, if you wanted.) When connected, it would simply move with the probe until "disconnect parameters" are met, at which point it regresses back to its undisturbed position with a linearly increasing velocity. (You could get into making the basket overshoot its undisturbed position using a little more math, but I think everyone would be happy with the above!)

Just my suggestion

11New AAR Video Empty Re: New AAR Video Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:40 pm

Admin

Admin
CDR
CDR

Will consider guys!

http://www.seveng-f18.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum