Seven-g F/A-18 fighter Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Seven-g F/A-18 fighter Forum

Official Seven-g Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Multi-Screen Support

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Multi-Screen Support Empty Multi-Screen Support Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:42 am

eitai2001

ENS
ENS

Hi Guys.

Something that would be really cool would be to add multi-screen support so that one could add various additional screens to their set-up like what you can do in FSX. In addition, to be able to independently manage each screens specific zoom setting so that you can simulate what the real world size should be.

I.e. The ability to undock a screen and set the specific camera position for that screen independently.

For example, one day when I have extra cash, I would like to set up a multiple projector system consisting of 4 or 5 projectors ... 1 directly in front, 2 on either side and 1 overhead so that I could create a fully immersive setup just like they have in the training facilities of air forces.

I'm not a programmer, so wouldn't know, but I don't think this should be too much of a hassle aside from perhaps, assigning the best way to use physical resources without affecting FPS as bad.

Perhaps even the ability to directly integrate with a Matrox Triple Head 2 Go or something like that, but I'm sure you get what I mean Smile
Would definitely be a big plus for the guys building pits Wink

Regards

Itai

2Multi-Screen Support Empty Re: Multi-Screen Support Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:23 pm

bongodriver

LTJG
LTJG

Why don't you consider using 1 HD projector bouncing off of a semi spherical mirror and on to a dome screen, that would be much more like the real simulators, it's what I plan to do if I win the lottery.

3Multi-Screen Support Empty Re: Multi-Screen Support Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:49 pm

eitai200

Problem with that though, is that you need some pretty specific output to the screen (as far as I'm aware) so that when the light beds over the dome, it does not distort the image. Also ... you would need a mighty hefty resolution projector if only one is to cover all the aspects ... remember, the real sims have purpose built software and limited viewing spaces.

To top it off, in a fighter you have a bubble canopy, so would at least want to be able to look straight up, directly left and down and right, so that in a dog fight you can keep the enemy in your sights ... you would need a huge dome covering the entire space around you. The military sims I've tried use multiple projectors projecting onto flat screens that surround the sim to give you this effect.

To give you an idea, you would need to screens on the left and right that are each about 2.2m x 1.65m, one on top that is 2.2m x 1.675m and one in front that is 1.675 x 1.25m to give you ideal viewing ... each one utilizing an XGA or WXGA projector projecting from behind.

The offset is that both of these setups would be really expensive, so giving this ability would also allow users with multiple LCD's or only 1 or 2 projectors to set them up as efficiently as possible.

Regards

Itai

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum